On the surface, it might not seem like a great place to look for accommodation in Harare. The city has had a troubled history and a shaky economy. But don’t let these things put you off as there are plenty of good places to stay in Harare. Here’s how to find the best-value option:
1. Choose your budget
There is significant variation between prices within Harare and if you know this is going in you can save yourself some cash by finding accommodation that fits your budget.
2. Check out reviews and ratings
It’s important to get a true feel for the place that you want to stay in. You can do this by looking at independent ratings and reviews of hotels, hostels, and guesthouses on sites like Booking.com, Holiday Lettings, and TripAdvisor. Many of these places have photos too so you can see what it looks like from the outside before giving them your money!
3. Check for extras
What extra things do the place you’re looking at offer? Is there a pool? Are there more expensive rooms that have better views? What happens if you’re staying in the city during a national holiday when everyone else is too?
4. Look into local accommodation options
If you are looking for somewhere to stay, why not take advantage of Harare’s wealth of local hotels, B&Bs, and guesthouses? You will get a nice homely feel and probably excellent service which costs next to nothing.
- Book early: Many places in Harare tend to fill up quickly with business travelers and holidaymakers alike. If you want to stay in a hotel or guesthouse on holiday, book your accommodation as far ahead of time as possible. Otherwise, you might find that there are no vacancies.
What factors to look into when looking for accommodation?
- Your Language Skills: How comfortable are you with the local language? If you can’t speak the language and are visiting Zimbabwe, there is a good chance that you will be living with a family. This means that it is likely that you will be living in their home and every employee will want to practice their English. Therefore, you must be able to communicate with your hosts.
- Your Day Off: The best place for an international student to stay would be a simple guest house or lodge away from the main city at night so as not to disturb any of your host’s family members who may be up during the night.
The best way to avoid this is to pre-pay for your accommodation in Harare. This will ensure that you have a guaranteed spot and can secure places in advance. Also, be prepared to pay higher prices than what you would pay if you are not pre-booking. For more information visit our Website.